healthy ice cream

Ice cream that has no milk [or milk alternatives], added sugar, or excess fat and is still delicious? Can it be? YES IT CAN! I stumbled upon this idea and just couldn't wait to give it a try, since ice cream is a weakness of mine and I'd love to find a healthy, portion-controlled version. So I present to you... basic banana ice cream!

Cut a banana up into 4 or 5 chunks and freeze [minimum 3-4 hours]. Then throw it into a food processor with a teaspoon of cocoa powder and blend. That's all! Wonderfully simple, isn't it? The first time I tried it, I was skeptical so I added a little bit of agave nectar and vanilla extract for sweetening but they turned out to be completely unnecessary. The second time, I omitted them but added in some shredded coconut for extra flavouring. The results were amazing. Absolutely delicious!

It makes a very generous portion just from one banana and, if you don't add anything in besides the cocoa powder, you can get away with this treat for around 100 calories [depending on the size of the banana]. I can't believe it. I've been freezing fruit for years as healthy summer treats [frozen grapes are my favourite, they're like tiny popsicles!] but never thought to put them in a blender to make ice cream.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
All this just from one banana!
Yes, the consistency is a little not-ice-cream-like. Actually, you know what it reminds me of? Dippin' Dots. That was my favourite thing to get at Six Flags on summer trips, it was such a treat because nowhere around me sold them, and I loved it. I haven't had any in years because they're not vegan, so this was a great surprise! I'm sure you could get the consistency to be a little more cream-like if you experimented [or possibly just by blending a little longer], but I'm perfectly happy with this result. [Actually, I took a non-frozen banana, some ice cubes, and a little bit of agave nectar and threw them in a blender together, then froze it all, and that came out more similar to ice cream.]

I used to have a fancy, expensive ice cream maker. I'd spend hours putting the ingredients together [some of which were on the pricey and hard to find side] and mixing it in the maker. And I still ended up with not-really-healthy ice cream. Who knew the solution was actually so simple? I'm going to go to the store and stock up on strawberries, raspberries, pineapple... all sorts of fruit, and see what I can do with this. But I know not to try sauerkraut, as much as I love the stuff in general!

What frozen fruit do you think would make a great ice cream flavour?