Onederland and WW flashback

I finally did it. After two weeks of staying the same, I stayed on track this past week and finally dropped 2 pounds, bringing me firmly into Onederland at 199.2 pounds. I am down 21.8 total, which means I'm 0.2 away from my 10% [heart rate monitor, baby!] and 0.4 from my original WW starting weight. In addition, I lost 4 inches total this past month, which is no small feat. I'm looking forward to this stage of my journey-- I did a fairly good job of documenting my weight loss journey the first time around. I have lots of pictures, all my old food journals, and my entire weigh-in record. I'm curious to see if things are easier or harder this time around, knowing the ropes but also knowing that I'm bound to have set backs [can you say ankle?] and possibly more frustrations. Also, my metabolism hasn't gotten any younger.

But I do know more stuff this time around. Last time, I had a six month plateau that I had to work through, which was frustrating to say the least, and it took a long time to realize that I was pushing my body too hard and not eating enough to make up for it [I worked a very active job, usually 12 hours a day, on top of working out at the gym almost every day]. Once I figured that out, the weight started coming off again and I reached my goal in a couple of months.

Anyway, I thought that I'd "celebrate" this moment of drawing [almost] equal with my WW starting weight by sharing some of my older pictures. Keep in mind, I went through an awkward period that I'd like to call "my entire life until I turned 21" so the earlier pictures definitely reflect that [although they're not the most awkward by far!].


October 7, 2004October 1, 2004

This is me at my starting weight in 2004. I'm happy to say that I'm pretty sure my body is already leaner than this, at the same weight. That's what working out regularly does! But see? I don't get curves, I just get lumps. Big lumps.


November 8, 2004November 8, 2004down at least 11.2 pounds

Just a month later, down 11.2 pounds. [Excuse the messy dorm room, please.] Already, those lumps are decreasing. Yay exercise! You can also see the handlebars of my bike in this picture-- this was when I first started really getting into cycling. I bought that bike upon joining WW and rode it all over campus. It's actually still at my mom's house, and I plan on using it as a secondary bike as soon as I get a new chain for it.


November 24, 2004
Collarbones! This is just two months on WW [down 18.4 pounds] and I already have collarbones showing! I also still have no clue what to do with my hair, but we'll avoid that [the poster matches the hair, sadly]. And holy major red eyes, but please ignore that for the ACTUAL REAL SMILE for the first time in forever. Also, that necklace? That was my 10% reward and my anchor throughout my entire WW process.


December 2, 2004-19 pounds on WW

I don't know what's going on with this picture but hey, I'm down 19 pounds in this picture and starting to get that slimline, non-lumpy figure! Still a mess of a haircut, though.


December 18, 2004: size twelve!
The first time I fit into size 12 jeans, the average size for American women. Never has being "average" felt so good!

I'm going to stop now, but there will be future posts along this vein. As it is, this is what I'm keeping in my immediate mind. Just these twenty pounds of change.

As for the ankle... well, that's been quite a story. After trying to run on it for a mile and then not being able to walk on it for days, I finally caved and went to the doctor. She sent me for x-rays and everything's fine on that front, so she referred me to physical therapy. But then my health insurance was unexpectedly canceled! So no physical therapy for me. And my ankle has been feeling even worse since the attempt to run. So I've been very light on the exercise, which is always annoying when I'm trying to burn calories. But, as you can tell from this week's weight loss, I'm persevering. I'm still extremely frustrated, and I've pretty much given up on running at all this summer [my doctor said it might take up to 18 months to heal without PT] but... well, what can I do? Not much, other than letting it heal. So I've been focusing on strength training and upper body cardio and hoping it heals [relatively] sooner rather than later.