Home gym!

I finally did it. This is something I've wanted to do for a while [since before I even moved in a year ago, actually] but never got around to it. I set aside an entire room for my home gym. I had been playing with the idea of setting it up in the basement [I even cleared out a space, until I realized that the floor was too broken to be safe on my sensitive ankle], but finally decided to clear out the spare bedroom, since it's completely unused [well, Felix seems to think it's her bedroom, but besides that it just serves as a place to ignore my piles of laundry!]. This way, I don't have to clear cat toys from the floor every time I want to work out [a serious problem, my cats are so spoiled!] and plus, this room has a door so I can close the cats out and exercise in peace! Also, my neighbors can't see my flailing around unless they really try [there's only one window, and it's on the second floor].

So in the course of one [long] afternoon, the room went from this:
Photobucket

To this:
Photobucket
Fun fact: that dresser holds a LOT of my "too small" clothes, mostly pants ranging all the way from size 11 down to size 4.
And there's still more to come! The impetus for this is that a couple weeks ago,my aunt offered to give me her TreadClimber. I'd never heard of the thing, but apparently it's really awesome and really expensive? She just wants it out of her house, she said she used to use it a lot and enjoy it but now she prefers biking [she got an indoor trainer to still ride during the winter]. Anyway, I'm excited about it, especially since my gym doesn't have a stairclimber. I don't have it yet [or else it would be in this picture!] but once I do and get a few workouts in, I'll do a review!

In addition to the TreadClimber, I still have a bunch of fitness stuff to get from my mom's. I'm going to get some stuff tomorrow, like a weight bench [possibly, if we can fit it in the car with everything else] and extra weights. She also promised me her treadmill about a year ago, but I might not take that now [the TreadClimber only goes up to 4.5mph but I still have my gym membership to run on their treadmills!].

Because I spent so long on the room, I didn't get to the gym today, but I'm going tomorrow morning and tonight I'm breaking in my new exercise room with some tae bo!
Photobucket
Long shot so you can get a feel for the size of the room!
Anyway, the process of clearing out the room and setting everything up was very long, and there was much whining on twitter. Mostly because the bed frame would not come apart [the bolts holding it together were completely stripped] so I had to move the assembled thing down two flights of stairs by myself [and my stairs have corners to them! Who designed this house?]. It got stuck quite a few times and I was convinced I'd have to leave it halfway down the basement stairs [I ended up having to move a fridge to get it all the way down!]. The bed frame is now sitting in the spot I initially cleaned out for exercise space in the basement, so at least I had that space...

So, what goes into my home gym? Well, at the moment:

Photobucket
TV [this one's not functional, but I'm getting an actual working TV from my mom's tomorrow], VCR [yes I still have two of those!], DVD player [not pictured], workout DVDs and tapes [yes, that is a Jazzercise tape from the 80s! I have to see if my mom still has her Richard Simmons tapes, I would love to work out to those], and a variety of resistance bands...

Photobucket
Lots of weights [and kettlebells, of course!], yoga blocks [even though I don't use them anymore, maybe someone will want to do yoga with me someday!] a couple yoga mats, and not pictured, a balance ball...

Photobucket
A book for working out with weights [I need to use this more, I used it to begin with but haven't really explored it fully], and a book holder to prop it up/open while I'm doing the exercises...

Photobucket
My vision collage of inspirational, healthy living...

Photobucket
A jump rope, some motivational clothes, and some of my old artwork [okay, this was previously hanging up in the room but whatever, I'm keeping it there!]. I can't jump rope at the moment because of my ankle, but it's hanging there and waiting for me!

Now I have the fun task of decorating the rest of the room! It's not the prettiest room in the world [why were my grandparents obsessed with wood paneling and brown everywhere?] but I want to make it pleasant to spend a couple hours a day in. Mostly, I need to cover this big expanse of wall:

Photobucket
That birthday sign is from when I was 15 or so, from my BFF Beth, back when I was going by my middle name! So long ago!
I do a lot of paper crafts, and want to cover it with something similar to what I did in the dining room, but still different:

Photobucket
More wood paneling! Seriously, only two rooms in the house aren't wood paneled: my bedroom, and the bathroom.
I was thinking maybe a big "park" scene, with a tree, grass, flowers, birds... maybe a rainbow and some adorable raindrops? I'm trying to get a lot of whimsy back into my life, and I think that would be nice and whimsical...

What would you do to cover that ugly, slanted wall? And what would your ideal home gym have?