Blueberry Buckle

When I was a kid, we lived right next to an area that had wild blueberries. Lots of wild blueberries. We'd head down at least once a week during the summer and pick to our hearts' content. It was wonderful and a great family outing. It also led to my untamed love of blueberries and everything made from it.


Now that I'm all grown up and living far from those blueberries [and blackberries and raspberries as well, I should note], I'm disappointed to find that blueberries are actually pretty expensive, so fresh blueberries have sadly become a luxury that I indulge in just a few times a summer. During those indulgences, however, my face may or may not get as messy as it did as a kid.


When I was 13, however, and free blueberries were abundant, my mom was faced with yet another yield of blueberry pickings and whipped up this recipe that she called "blueberry buckle". And let me tell you, I was in love. She only made it just this once, but I remember that night so well. I spent the night [well, evening] up in my treehouse in the far backyard, only venturing to the house for yet another helping of this delicious concoction. A couple neighborhood friends were hanging out and they were as wowed as I was. It was a hit! But, as my mom never made it again, and then I became vegan [and unable to afford blueberries], it stayed in my childhood with my treehouse and blueberry rambles.


Until now! I present to you... vegan blueberry buckle! I made it, intending to say "Fuck the calories!", and then put the nutrition info together and realized... it actually wasn't that bad at all. So yay!


Ingredients
Batter:
1.5 tsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup nondairy milk
2 cups blueberries, divided

Topping:
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup Earth Balance

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease 7x11 cake pan.
  2. Whisk together cornstarch & water for about 1 minute. Set aside.
  3. In medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  4. In large bowl, cream together oil and sugar for 1-2 minutes. Add cornstarch mix and vanilla, beat until incorporated. Add flour mixture and nondairy milk, beat until combined. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries. Spread batter into bottom of prepared pan. Spread remaining blueberries on top of batter.
  5. Topping: In large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix in the Earth Balance until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. 
  6. Sprinkle the topping over the blueberries and bake for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, best served warm.
Nutritional Information:
12 servings per recipe, amount per serving:
Calories: 202.7
Total Fat: 9.5 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 117.2 mg
Total Carbs: 28.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
Protein: 1.7 g

[If you're on sparkpeople, you can find the recipe here to enter it into your tracking for the day.]

I'll probably experiment with the ingredients to get the sugar and fat content down [applesauce is my baking BFF] but I'm still surprised as to how low everything is for how delicious the dish is!