2013: The [Half] Year of the Half Marathon

It has begun. I'm reasonably certain that I'm going to be running a half marathon on May 5th. "Reasonably certain" because I want to make it out of winter injury-free before I commit with my money. But, if I don't get any horrible ankle sprains or anything and training goes well, I will know by March.

I got brand new running shoes on Sunday, a birthday present from my mom, for half marathon training. I went down to my wonderful and trusty running store and got professionally fitted, with a gait assessment and everything [verdict: I walk on the outside of my feet. I already knew that and try to fix it but... I guess I haven't yet]. After measuring me and watching me walk, I was presented with three pairs of shoes. I absolutely loved the first pair [Brooks Ghost], but didn't want to just get the first pair I tried on. But then I hated the second [a pair of Nikes, I have never tried a pair of Nike that I've found comfortable]. And the third, a New Balance pair, were comfortable but sliiiightly less perfect than the first pair. I actually walked around for a while with a Brooks on one foot and a New Balance on the other because they were both really good.  I eventually, however, went with the Brooks because I was more conscious of the New Balance on my foot and I want a pair of shoes I don't think about while running.
So pretty!
They're not pink and black like my others, but they match my *other* running shorts so I'll just have to accessorize for these now. Or... not, because who cares?

So, I got these on Sunday and didn't go for a run until Tuesday for some reason! [I was actually doing other stuff! Shocking, I know.] Tuesday morning, I went for a quick one mile run to try them out for real [they were comfortable in the store, but you can only tell so much from running up and down the tiny track in there]. Well, they were comfortable... until my feet started going numb. But I knew that was just a lacing issue so I looked up other ways to lace running shoes once I got back home.

Wednesday morning, I headed out with the shoes laced two different ways to experiment:
I love my socks, too.
The left foot [one on the right here] felt great in the 1.5 miles I did, but the right foot went numb again about a mile in... so I headed back home earlier than planned [I'd wanted to do 3 miles] and changed the lacing on that shoe too! But hey, I managed a pace that was about 30 seconds faster per mile than the day before [and than my usual non-race runs], so I think even having the one shoe laced properly helped!
Look at that awesome, near-consistent pace!
This morning, both shoes laced up the same [different] way, I headed out for a quick run before work again. Just a mile, nothing fancy. It went pretty well, and no numbness in my feet! So I think I'm ready to start the serious runs with these shoes now.

Oh, and I snapped a picture before this morning's run, and can we just take a moment to acknowledge how awesome my legs look? I didn't even notice it until after I'd gotten back from my run but... wow, they look great!
All the bright pink clothes!
I know this post is a little [okay, a lot] disjointed and I kind of missed the point after a while but anyway, all this is to say that I finally got to check off this box for the first time in my life:
Yay!
Okay, my *official* training schedule doesn't start until next week but... getting the shoes and breaking them in were the first steps. And if you want to start half marathon training too [or at least look at/bookmark a free training program for the future/to cheer me on], check out the 16 week program I'm doing.

I will most likely be talking about this a LOT in the coming months so be prepared! I'm excited! And in other race news, I'm running 3 local 5Ks in March known as the Tour de Patrick so that'll be... interesting. Three 5Ks in 10 days! Two back-to-back! Well, I should be well into my half marathon training by then so it shouldn't seem like such a big feat come March. So I hope.