Running Club

Today, I did something that I'd been wanting to do since September, if not earlier: I finally joined a local running club [well, I joined a few weeks ago] and went on a run with them. I discovered the running club last fall, but figured that I'd wait until after winter to join them [since they're in Providence and I'd have to bike there, and biking around here isn't good in the winter]. And their "year" is April-March so there was no point in signing up in October if I'd only get a couple runs in before I'd have to pay again. So, I waited. And it's finally that time of year!

I'll admit-- I was nervous. I had a few moments of anxiety before leaving my house [my HRM was already reading 135, even though I wasn't doing anything physical]. But I figured I'd have to do it eventually, so I went. It was 71 degrees out, hot for this time of year [yesterday it was 35!], so I was already pretty warmed up after the 4 mile bike ride there. I walked into the store and to the back room where they have workshops, yoga, etc., where I could see a lot of other runners just hanging around. Then I just... stood around awkwardly until someone asked, "Hey, are you new?" I said yes, and she said that her name was... Beth? I think? And she takes the newbies out. There were two other new runners, two women who looked to be a bit older than me, so the four of us did a simple 4 mile loop while the other 20 or so did speed work tonight.

Our run was fairly easy, with some hills [mostly small and gradual], and we stayed around a 11min/mi pace. Pretty good. Until, that is, about 25 minutes in. Suddenly, I was very hot and had to take a walking break. I didn't want to slow the others down, but I just needed a breather to cool down. I know I've mentioned before about my body overheating and having trouble sweating, and today being the first 70 degree day of the year, my body wasn't used to it. But, even though I knew I had to take a break, I didn't want to. My body was feeling fine otherwise, my legs were great and I could've gone on for miles aside from the heat. So frustrating! Plus, I didn't want to hold the group back. But the two other new girls went on ahead of me, and the leader stayed with me. I'm sure she's used to it, if she always takes the newbies out, but... I still felt bad. Argh. Next week, I'll be better!

Although, on the positive side, taking a minute of walking here and there meant that I actually got to talk to Beth instead of just panting along. We talked a little about her running history, and the half marathon she's running in DC next weekend, and about her dog [who's not a very good running partner]. So, I guess having to walk was okay, because that was kind of nice.

Anyway, we did about 4 miles in 43 minutes [and the other two looped around the last block to come back to the end with us, which was very nice of them], which was a pretty good pace for me. Then we went back into the store, where there were snacks and beer [apparently there's always beer?], but the more experienced runners weren't back yet. I snuck out as they were coming back, because it was getting dark and cold and I had to bike home still, and I also thought that was enough socialization for me for the first day. Next week, maybe I'll stick around. [Also, I now know that we can leave our stuff in the back room of the store so I can bring my backpack with my sweatshirt and bike lights, etc. next week.]

All said, it was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I went, and I can't wait for next week. Well, they have Saturday morning runs too but we'll see if I feel up to running at 8am [which means a 6am wake up]. I've been wanting people to run with for SO LONG and yay, I've finally got a group!

This post is lacking in pictures, so here's a picture from my trip to New York last week, where I spent an entire day walking nine miles around Central Park:
I'm so happy that spring is here, because that means I'm getting out and exercising more! It's so much easier to motivate myself to go for a walk or run when the sun is shining and the flowers are blooming.