Weekly Update, New Gym

Weigh in day! I know, I didn't update last week. I'm sorry! Life has been pretty busy and I've moved up to actually working 5 days a week, so I'm trying to adjust to that. Plus, I had a knee injury that prevented me from running [or... doing much of anything for the better part of a week], which in turn made me lose motivation to check in, and you know how it goes. Well! We're here to stop those excuses, right?

So, my weigh in today. Still at 179.5. I was actually up last week [due to not being able to exercise, as well as eating above my calorie range], and I'm now back down to where I was two weeks ago. Not the best, but it could be worse. And this week's going to be better! My knee's better [although I'm still not sure about running on it], so I can exercise again! I actually went to the gym yesterday and got a workout in to make up a little for the rest of the week [although it didn't show up on the scale... it will, in a few days]. Which brings me to my other update.

I'm saying goodbye to Planet Fitness and have joined my local YMCA. There are a number of reasons for this, and it's a decision I'm happy with. I joined Planet Fitness a year ago, when I was unemployed and could just barely afford the $10/month. It helped me rehabilitate from my sprained ankle, and I started running again while I was there. But it's a very basic gym, and there are times when you just have to move on. This is one of those times. My Y offers so much more than Planet Fitness, and it's a mile closer to my house [which is a big deal when you're walking or biking to the gym]. It's also right down the street from the library, so it's super convenient to work out before work [I'm becoming a morning exerciser, try not to be too shocked!]. And, a quick rundown of everything my YMCA offers:

  • pool [laps and open swim available, as well as LESSONS!]
  • movie nights in the pool ["flick and float"!]
  • standard gym equipment of ellipticals, treadmills, etc. [will check to see if they have a rowing machine]
  • their weight room is separate from the cardio room which can be intimidating but I like it that way
  • rock climbing wall
  • spinning room
  • sauna [as well as regular showers in the locker room]
  • running club [I could be part of TWO! Doubles my chances of actually attending!]
  • racquetball and basketball courts
  • classes include: aikido, kickboxing, aqua fit [aerobics AND strength training. SO EXCITED FOR THIS ONE], women-only weights [going to take this too], spinning, yoga, zumba, and a super-intense p90x-esque thing that i want to do once I get my strength training back to where it should be. And a few others that I’m forgetting.
  • [plus you can rent lockers for the entire month so I don’t have to haul my shampoo, etc. back and forth]
  • oh and they have separate gyms and locker rooms for adults, teens, and children. I don’t even have to deal with teenagers!
Whereas Planet Fitness had:

  • standard cardio equipment [ellipticals, treadmills, and stationary bikes. that’s all]
  • standard weight machines and free weights
  • all in the same room
  • that’s it
  • oh and a locker room and showers [but you couldn’t rent lockers]
See what I'm getting at? Yesterday morning I got there for about 8:15 and the pool was almost entirely empty [just two people in it], probably because it was a perfect beach day, but I'm not complaining. I did about 15 minutes of swimming, re-discovered that I am terrible at swimming laps, and decided to make "improve my swimming" my goal for the summer. So I'm really excited! Then I went up to the cardio room and did the elliptical and treadmill [no running, just incline work] before showering and heading home. And then taking a spontaneous 2 hour nap because swimming really tires me out.

So, my super-optimistic-getting-out-of-bed-early schedule looks something like this:
Monday: lap swim 8-8:30ish, women with weights 9-10am
Tuesday: kickboxing 6:30-7:30pm
Wednesday: aqua fit 9-10am
Friday: aqua fit 9-10am

In addition, they have a weight loss contest starting in a few weeks that I'm considering.

I don't really care about the contest aspect of it, but the accountability? And all that personal training? Yes, please! The personal training alone is worth $600. I've always wanted a personal trainer but they're expensive, so I've never had one. $200 is still nothing to sneeze at [that phrase makes no sense], but it's more manageable than $600. And it's part of a whole program that will keep me on track. And weekly fitness challenges! Okay, I just saw that [after contemplating this for the last 24 hours] and now I'm sold.

So, I will almost definitely be doing this come July 15th. Almost definitely because I still want to go to the informational meeting and make sure it'll be what I'm expecting, but it looks great so far.

Have I mentioned that I love my new gym?