10 Reasons

We all need a little motivation, right? Here are my top ten reasons why I'm working out and getting fit. Some of them may look familiar if you've been around me for a while. But repeating these reasons doesn't hurt!

  1. Back pain. I have been living the past month with varying degrees of back pain, from being stiff in the morning to not being able to move all day without crying. It's not fun, and I know it's directly related to my weight gain and lack of movement. I know for a fact that regular exercise, especially regular yoga, will keep me from experiencing back pain for years, possibly for the rest of my life if I keep up with it.
  2. Cancer risk. This is a big one. I have an extremely high chance of getting breast cancer, and one of the things I can do to lower that risk is losing weight and exercising.
  3. I want to look good. I'll admit it. Looks aren't everything or even most things, and I do like how I look, but I want to love how I look. That extra boost of confidence from knowing I've worked hard at my body is amazing.
    I want to look like this again.
  4. More importantly, I want to feel good. I want to have more energy, I want to be clear-headed and alert. The more I exercise, the more I feel this.
  5. I don't want to be depressed or manic. I have bipolar disorder and regular exercise helps regulate and stabilize my moods. It's not a cure (I'm still on meds) and it's not effective for everyone, but it helps me a ton.
  6. I like to challenge myself. Getting and staying fit are huge challenges. Especially the staying part. I've gotten fit before, but I've never been able to maintain it due to many factors in my life. I want to achieve that this time, and stay fit for the rest of my life. Now that's a challenge!
  7. I want to complete a triathlon. I love all three aspects of triathlons, so this is only logical. This is a goal I've had for a while, and came close to being ready, but never actually accomplished. But I will!
  8. Flexibility. It's really frustrating not being able to get into a pose that I used to be able to do a couple years ago. My body's only going to get stiffer with age if I don't work on this.
  9.  I'm stubborn. I don't like being told what I can and can't do. And that includes from my body. "You can't run five minutes without feeling like you're going to die" say my lungs. "You can't do a split" says my flexibility. "You can't lift 100 pounds" say my arms. Well, screw that! I want to prove them all wrong. And there's nobody I want to prove wrong more than the voice in my head that says I can't do it.
    "You can't run," I was told, and I proved them wrong.
  10. I love exercise. That's the plain truth. I love working out, getting those endorphins, beating a personal record, feeling accomplished. I love the soreness a day after a really hard personal trainer session, and I love wearing a cute swimsuit to aqua aerobics. I love the bonds I make at the gym and with other people on similar journeys. I absolutely love every part of working out, and you should do what you love, right?
Some of these you may identify with, some you may not. What's on your list of motivations?