Motivation Monday: Just Doing It

I'll admit it. After being sick last week, I'm still off my game. I had to force myself to complete my workouts this weekend to finish my Gym Pact (or else pay ten bucks... no thanks), and I didn't track my food at all. Two things I normally have no problems with. My habits are off track.

So this morning I woke up, looked at my gym bag, and said "I can not pack it today". I'm tired, I'm in no mood to drag myself to the gym after work, it's fine if I just skip a Monday. Right?

Wrong, of course. So wrong.

I have a gym schedule. It's flexible, but Monday nights are not. For those curious, my schedule is this: Monday, Tuesday (personal training), Thursday or Friday, Saturday or Sunday. This way, I'm going to the gym four times a week and getting my money's worth. I'm also doing things outside of the gym, usually a half hour walk on my lunch break Monday, Wednesday, and Friday; and a walk/bike ride the other weekend day that I don't go to the gym. So, while it's flexible, Mondays are not. I need that Monday workout to get the week off to the right start.

It would've been so easy to just pack my other bag this morning (in fact, it was already most packed, so it would've been much easier) and skip the gym tonight in favor of playing Splatoon (such a good rotation tonight!). It was tempting. I was almost out the door as such. But I knew I'd ultimately be disappointed in myself. So I packed my gym bag and will be going to the gym after work. Even though I don't want to.

So how does one find the motivation to go when you just don't feel like it? I'll be honest: sometimes the motivation just isn't there. And I say this as someone who loves working out. Sometimes you want to skip a day. But there's a difference between wanting to skip a day and needing to. If you need to, that's fine, it happens. But if you just want to... tell yourself that you're going to go anyway. Just get out there and do it. And if you're prone to wanting to skip, make it easier beforehand: pack your gym bag the night before, write some post-its to view along your morning routine, get a friend to yell at you tell you to go anyway. You don't always need to have motivation, you just need to go through the steps and get it done anyway. In the end, it doesn't matter if you felt like working out; it matters if you did it or not.

Apropos of nothing, I dyed my hair this weekend. It's dark.
Have a great Monday and get out there even if you don't feel like it!