Music Monday: Motivational Melodies

Sometimes we need an extra burst of inspiration, especially on Mondays. That's when I turn to a specific playlist on my phone full of "can do" attitude. These songs all say to go after my goals, screw the anxiety, and others' thoughts of me be damned. It also helps that they're all perfect tempos for working out, and make frequent appearances on my general workout playlists.

1. Plain White T's - "What If"
I'm gonna keep trying, getting denied just makes me want it more
Keep trying and each time, push harder than before
This has been on my running playlist since the day I discovered it. I think it was actually a big motivation in starting running in the first place. As I've mentioned, few things motivate me more than being told I can't do something. This song echoes that, and reaffirms that I can do the thing.

  2. Frank Turner - "If Ever I Stray"
Come on and join me in the water
Swim for hope
Sometimes it's hard to remember
I couldn't do this on my own
Sometimes we fall off the path, whatever that may be. Sometimes we need our friends to help us find our way back.This song reminds me that I do have the support of my friends, and it's okay to ask for help once in a while.

3. Sara Bareilles - "Brave"
Honestly, I wanna see you be brave
This song is all about positivity and not caring what others think. For many people, taking the first step to a healthier lifestyle takes a lot of bravery-- stepping in a gym for the first time, disrupting your comfort zone, telling your family or job that you need some time to focus on yourself. If you have anxiety, as I do, you're probably constantly thinking someone's judging you for being overweight at the gym or counting every calorie you put in your mouth (we're allowed to indulge once in a while!). Just be brave and do it anyway. (Side note-- this isn't the case most of the time. Usually people are cheering you on, if they notice at all.)
 (As an aside, watch the video. If that doesn't inspire you to hit the gym despite your current level of fitness, I just don't know!)

4. I Fight Dragons - "My Way"
I'm not perfect I'm just who I am
Is that ok?
Perfect's overdone and overplanned
In the modern age
I'm going to do things my way, forget the current fad diet or what other people say is the "right" way to get healthy. I know what works for me, I know what my goals are, and I'm going to listen to my body. I may fail once in a while, but this song reminds me that that's okay as well. I'm not perfect.

 5. Jimmy Eat World - "The Middle"
Just do your best
Do everything you can
And don't you worry what their bitter hearts
Are gonna say
 Time and time again, I come back to this song. It's a cure for my anxious thoughts and feelings that "it" is taking too long-- weight loss, getting fit, putting my life together. It just takes some time, don't worry about what others think.

What songs get you motivated to work out?